Tuesday, August 24, 2010

let us begin...



I have felt sort of strange not writing since I moved back from Romania. I miss sharing the cool things that the Lord is showing me. So I thought I would start a new blog to share those thoughts, verses, songs and quotes that inspire me and bless me, with the hopes that they will bless and inspire others.

I have had the idea of being a city shining on a hill for a while now. Not that it is a unique idea of my own, Matthew 5:14-16 says:

"You are the light of the world.
A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.
Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket,
but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.
Let your light so shine before men,
that they may see your good works and
glorify your Father in heaven."

So I guess Jesus is really the author of this idea, but it has always been one of those thoughts that really was so vivid in my mind. Then U2 came out with this awesome song called Yahweh, and this one part of the song says,

"take this city
a city should be shining on a hill
take this city
if it be your will"

I remember walking around Romania when this song had first come out singing this in my mind about the cities I was in, and really praying it in my mind, and praying that I would be that light and that the city I was praying for, would experience revival and would shine in Romania, like a city on hill.

Well, then Bluetree writes this amazing song that Chris Tomlin sings, God of this City, and I was like, oh my gosh! It was as though the lyrics to the song touched my heart, they totally lined up to what my prayers and desires were for Romania.

"You're the God of this City
You're the King of these people
You're the Lord of this nation
You are

You're the Light in this darkness
You're the Hope to the hopeless
You're the Peace to the restless
You are

There is no one like our God
There is no one like our God

For greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done in this City
Greater thing have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done in this City "

I can't even count how many days I was on the bus in Romania or walking through the streets, with this song playing on my mp3 player, and I would look around at the people and just pray this song over the city I was in.

So the idea of being A City Shining has been born over the passed few years. From the Word of God to amazing songs of worship to one girl's heart for this world. It's been coming out in my paintings and drawings and art....and now it has found it's way here.

I pray that the Lord will grab more hearts, and that one by one, we will stand up, like a city on a hill and each one of us will shine in our families, at work, among our friends, in our cities and our countries....

grace and peace on your shining hearts,
xo


*

3 comments:

  1. Rachel, I am glad you have a new blog site...I missed you...! Your words and insight have always been an encouragement to me...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool to see how God knits it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you have started another blog! I have missed your posts!! I love that Chris Tomlin song. The last time I was in Romania 2 years ago, our team also sang that song over the country side. God has so many plans for that country, as well as America, and every other country in the world. I love seeing it, hearing about it and experiencing His great works!!

    ReplyDelete